Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Birthing of Rori

Birth Story by Laura Innes



I had birthed my first daughter in a hospital in country QLD.
It had entailed a two-hour trip on country roads to the nearest hospital that would accept birthing women.
I was young, hadn’t educated myself about normal birthing, just trusted that those who were looking after me had mine and my baby’s best interests at heart.
My waters were broken, and during a massive contraction, when I was no longer able to communicate, I was administered pethidine. Something I didn’t want, or feel the need to ask for, but I think my fearful screams were making other people uncomfortable.
Despite this I fell deeply in love with the process of pregnancy and birthing.

When I fell pregnant with my second daughter I chose the support of two amazing Independent Midwives from Midwives Naturally.
Helen and Nic came highly recommended by some very good friends who had had their support though the pregnancy and births of both of their children.
The care I received throughout my pregnancy from Helen and Nic empowered me greatly.

On the night of 17th May, 2009 at about 9:30pm I was feeling a bit ‘uncomfortable’.
It was a cool night, with the presence of the impending winter in the air.
I snuggled up in bed and tried to watch a movie, my partner asleep.
It was probably only half an hour or so before I had the recognition that things were probably going to start moving tonight.
I was feeling restless, and no longer had the desire to lie down in bed, so I got up and did the dishes to distract myself.

I then called my sister in QLD, and my parents in NZ to let them know I thought I was going into labour, put some music on, and knelt on all fours to rock and sway gently to the meditative tones.
Soon got sick of that and still feeling restless started to do laps around the lounge room.

At about 11:30pm I decided to wake Casey up. I hadn’t wanted to wake him earlier as he had to work the next day, and I didn’t want to disturb his sleep if this wasn’t really “it”.
He got up and started preparing the room, birth pool etc
I called his mum, who was to be present at the birth, and would be there for our 4yr old daughter to keep her occupied, fed etc
I told her to take her time, as it was still early stages, she came right over.
I was still pacing through each surge, walking quickly in circles, picking up in intensity but still very tolerable.

I wasn’t sure when to call Helen, and Casey decided to call her and give her the heads up. We disturbed her sleep, only to be gently told to give her a call back when I was working a bit harder. I was still very coherent at this point. Although I was starting to remember what I was in for, as the surges became more and more intense.

About 45 mins after first calling Helen, some low primal sounds were starting to emerge with the surges, and I then asked for a bucket and vomited.
Helen was called back, and she and Nic were on their way.
Casey finished filling the birth pool, while I leaned into him for support with each surge.
Clothes were off, hips were swaying and I was moaning loudly and deeply when our midwives arrived smiling. It was about 1am.

They kindly suggested I might like to hop into the pool, to which I replied I didn’t want to get in too early, to spoil that “ahhhh” moment. Nic made the logical suggestion that if things were to slow down I could always just get out of the pool.
So in I got, and melted into the warm, supportive water. Bliss.

The surges continued to intensify, our daughter Tahn was awoken and joined us in the bedroom along with our dog Indi.
I’d initially thought I would want Casey in the pool with me, but I was really happy with just his hand when I needed something to brace myself with.
That pool was my own, sacred space, and I felt totally in control.
I asked again for a bucket and threw up once more.
At this point Helen said to me, “You’re going to have your baby soon Laura”.
I knew this was coming close, and it bought an excited/nervous emotion over me.

From this point I started feeling an urge to push, although not overwhelming, it just seemed to be easier than breathing through the surges.
Helen and Nic noticed a bit of blood entering the water as I pushed, and suggested I may still have a ‘lip’ of undilated cervix. Helen offered an internal, or I could just wait for my baby’s head to naturally dilate my cervix. As I had decided I didn’t want any internals, I opted for the latter, and chose to breathe through the next surges until my body told me it was ready to push.
This took a lot of control as the pushing had felt easier, but I knew it was what my body and baby needed. I also stood up out of the water in between surges to rotate my hips while bending my knees, deep pelvic circles helping my baby to move down.
Through this time I had longer gaps between my surges, allowing me to rest deeply and regain some energy.

I started to get that feeling that it was never going to happen, when Helen reassured me that everything was going beautifully, and to listen to my body as it would tell me what to do.
Not long after this I felt the downward force of my baby starting her journey down the birth canal.
I started to push, half heartedly at first, and then gave in fully to the urges of my body.

I felt what I thought to be my baby’s head starting to crown, it turns out it was my bulging membranes as my waters had not yet broken. It hurt!
Next came my baby’s head, the intense pressure and wideness in my pelvis shocked me a little, and I cried out, “Get it out of me”.
Helen and Nic were quick to gently bring me back to earth, and make me feel calm.
My daughter Tahn exclaimed she could see a nose, “A little nose”!

When the next surge came I gave my final push, and felt the whole length of my baby’s body birthing from me. A truly amazing feeling that I’ll never forget.
In an instant the intensity subsided and I was pulling her from the water to my chest. Ecstatic, emotional, amazed and relieved.
Rori was born at 4:45am, not long before the sun came up.

We stayed getting to know each other in the warm water for about 45 mins, then moved to our bed to wait for the placenta to birth. This stage took a while, (about 1 hr 45mins).

After I birthed the placenta on the toilet, the cord was cut by our daughter.
Rori’s placenta is now buried underneath an olive tree.

Homebirth was the most amazing, raw, and empowering experience. The chance to experience birth in its natural and rightful state.

No comments:

Post a Comment